Overall, after comparing the websites in the previous post, it is difficult to pinpoint what is conventional for a website because so many of the websites deviated from or challenged those conventions.
Obviously there is a rough layout for a conventional website - there is always a navbar or at least a set of buttons that lead you around the site rather than following the pages in order to reach more content.
Also, all of the websites I visited had a logo in the top left corner. There is no reason to deviate from this convention as this works very well in attracting the readers attention. Therefore I will follow this convention in order to do the same - indicate to the reader what they are viewing in a place that is easily seen.
I also noticed that the background tends to be a pale colour or white (often white). This is so that the text and pictures stand out against the background - test is usually in a dark colour - either black or in the colour associated with the website, i.e. the text on the NSPCC website is green, the RSPCA's is blue.
I want to make my background green because having text on a white background may make the website look uninteresting to younger viewers. However, following conventions, I will make the green pale in order to make the text stand out.
So my website will include a logo in the top left, and a navbar for easy navigation.
I will include photographs on the main page, as the websites I have looked at have done. This will help to break up the text and add interest to the page as well as engaging the reader.
I have found looking at other websites very useful in visualising my website and pinpointing how I can make my website more accessible and interesting to my target audience and other audiences.
Thursday, 12 November 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete